USB Error in Device Manager
If a USB Mass Storage device is under Universal Serial Bus controllers but has a red or yellow error mark, follow these steps:
- Right click on USB Mass Storage device and select Uninstall.
- Unplug the USB storage drive, restart the computer and reconnect the drive and check for the removable disk under 'My Computer'.
- If you are unable to see the removable drive then go to Disk Management and check for the drive. If found, try to assign a drive letter.
- In Disk Management, look for the drive in the lower pane on the right. If it is there, right click on it and select "Change Drive letter." Follow the steps to assign a new drive letter, and then check 'My Computer' for the removable drive again.
- Restart the computer and check for the removable disk under 'My Computer'.
- If the drive is still not detected, double click the yellow mark and click on the drivers tab. Click on "update drivers." Continue the driver update wizard. Select the recommended option and in the new screen check specify a location option and type the location "c:\windows\inf," then click on Next.
- The wizard will search for the driver file and display it when it finds the correct driver. If the wizard selects usbstor.inf file, click on "Next", and finish the installation procedure. Lasly, check for removable disk drive under 'My Computer'.
©2019 Micron Technology, Inc. All rights reserved. Information, products, and/or specifications are subject to change without notice. Neither Crucial nor Micron Technology, Inc. is responsible for omissions or errors in typography or photography. Micron, the Micron logo, Crucial, and the Crucial logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Micron Technology, Inc. Microsoft and Windows are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners.